Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bye Bye Taco Hell


There is something wonderful about the speed of fast food, especially when you're working full time and going to school full time. Within 5 minutes I've given my order and I'm driving away with my food. But, let's be real... few places have anything healthy and the reality is that temptation kicks in the moment I smell french fries. So my original plan to get a salad with chicken goes bye bye and I'm walking away with a Big Mac and Fries... and since it comes with a drink, I throw in a coke and leave with over 1,100 calories in my bag.

I know the best thing to do is avoid fast food restaurants period, but there are times I'm craving that flavor you can only get at a drive-through window. So what do I do? Break down and get the calorie laden, greasy burger? Not anymore! Tonight for the first time, I made a Spicy Chicken Crunchtastic Supreme from a recipe I pulled from Hungry Girl http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1172

It was fast and easy to make and was delicious! It wasn't nearly as salty as the one at Taco Bell and it tasted better, fresher and it didn't give me a upset stomach. I added some brown rice and broccoli with cheese sauce bringing my total calories to 345. Not bad, and way better than the 530 in just ONE Taco Bell Crunchwrap. So I think it's safe to say that I a have no desire to go back to Taco Bell any time soon, and will continue trying the healthier swaps that Hungry Girl Has to offer.

And just a friendly FYI, in case you're interested in trying this wonderful dinner, Sprouts carries both the guiltless chips and the low carb, low calorie tortillas. Mmmmmm...

2 comments:

Cathy_H said...

Sounds great. Rock on Nikki. I'm enjoying reading!

Abigail V said...

Have you ever heard of the book "French Women Don't Get Fat"? It's a great book, and the recipes in there look great too. Healthy and not giving up style, not to mention the mental boost she gives you. :) I absolutely love the miracle breakfast cream she makes. I'd recommend it!